You guys! I absolutely love love love this upcycled vintage tin ceiling tile wall decor. As per usual Jay found the ceiling tile at a demo removal job, score! I was really upset when I found out there were more but the general contractor doing the remodel took the others 😭
I am thankful for having one full tile and a few smaller pieces that I can do a few other projects with. The first project I wanted to tackle was framing the full 2’x2’ tile.
I had to clean the tile up quite a bit, it’s about a hundred years old so it was full of dust, dirt, grime, and layers of led paint. I chipped away all the loose paint and then lightly sanded the paint, with a mask on of course! Then I washed the whole thing down, talk about disgusting!
Next was to cut the pieces of the frame. I used a 2”x1”x12’ to make the frame. I did 45° cuts with the inside edges at 2’.
I decided to stain the pieces before assembling the frame. I did two coats of Minwax Espresso, with a light hand sand with a 220 grit sandpaper between coats. Then I did two coats of shellac with a sand in between.
The hardest part of this project was assembling the frame. We don’t have any large clamps so I just glued the joints and once dry I tapped a finishing nail into each corner. This didn’t end up holding very well so I screwed a corner brace on each corner to keep the frame together.
Now I attached the tile to the back of the frame with a few screws. Then I backed it with some landscape fabric because there were some sharp pieces on the back of the tile that I didn’t want to damage the walls.
I used large Command picture hanging strips to hang this beauty on the big wall on the landing heading down to our main floor.
Now I just need a nice tall plant for the corner to finish the landing off. I think I can actually hear Jay’s eyes rolling 😂
Hopefully I’ll soon have some more posts up about what I have been working on the last few weeks. I’ve been so busy making I haven’t had time to stop and write about it. I semi-successfully made a tobacco basket, finished off the shelf I was refinishing for the kitchen, I attempted weaving, I switched up my Kokedama balls, added some plants to the family, made a wreath, added a new display feature to the kitchen and finally have gotten around to staining the dining room table. Wow, I didn’t realize how much I have been doing! Maybe it’s time for a little break from making so I can get blogging!